Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Saved by the Throne Speech...

I got to go to the Speech from the Throne this year. I don't want to say that this was a once in a life time experience but it was great to witness first-hand, the announcement of a positive and aggressive plan that will, (among other things) help reverse the tide of climate change. The opportunity allowed my wife Liz and I to stretch the day into a much deserved three day mini-vacation and, despite the weather we had a fantastic time.

We left Vancouver on Monday afternoon, meaning that I was not able to see the unveiling of the 2010 count-down clock. A small sacrifice I suppose but unfortunately I did manage to see all that I needed later that night on the news. I was flicking through the channels when I happened upon the somewhat disturbing spectacle created by a few that oppose the otherwise great opportunity that the 2010 Olympics brings to Vancouver, Whistler and the province of British Columbia. Needless to say, I was glad I didn't go as if I had I would have surely brought my 3 year old son Jack with me. I don't envy the task that all of those parents who did attend with their children must have had explaining how such a small group of people can be so narrow minded and destructive.

You don't have to like the Olympics! You don't have to agree with any international sporting (or similar) events and you don't have to be happy that they are coming to Vancouver. You may believe that there are bigger issues in our communities that need to be dealt with and you may fool yourself into thinking that the money being used to host the Olympics would actually solve all of these problems. You may wish to tell the world exactly how you feel about all of these things and while your at it you may wish to tell all of the little children that there is no Santa Claus. These are your rights and while I obviously disagree with your opinion (if this is you) the fact that we can do this is what makes our city, province, country such a great place to live. Peaceful demonstration is your right.

What happened on Monday is another story completely!

What this small group of people did was nothing short of terrorism! Unfortunately, the issues that these people and other groups like them (the Sea Shepard Society comes to mind) hide behind are real. Homelessness, drug use, prostitution, mental illness, affordable housing, all present us with some very serious challenges that will only be overcome with the cooperative efforts of all communities, levels of government and citizens, including those most affected. These real-life challenges are somehow minimized when the so-called champions of the cause resort to violence to make their points. Suddenly the plight of the homeless, drug-addicted (and so on) becomes lost behind the hidden agenda of the "professional" protester and the true problem gets lost as these people move from one cause to another, all on the backs of the desperate.

The Olympic and Paralympic games are coming to Vancouver, Whistler and communities in between in 2010. Its a done deal and people should really try and get used to the fact. Events like this unfortunate one on Monday will not change anything. Pushing innocent people out of the way, screaming obscenities into a microphone in front of children and other forms of violent protest are just not acceptable. These kinds of acts do nothing to solve the real issues and the only attention that they give to the real challenges within our communities is negative.



2 comments:

The Poturica Point said...

Hey Ray, thanks for the comment

-Zach Poturica
the Poturica.Point

Ray Henderson said...

No problem Zach. I liked what I read and I will be back.