Sunday, February 25, 2007

I really can walk the walk!

When I decided to jump onto the climate change band-wagon I did so with both feet. Environmental issues have been important to me for far longer than they have been fashionable but, I still admit to being a bit of a hypocrite in some areas. Mostly in respect to the car I drive.

The recent popularity of global warming and environmental issues has put my family and I at occasional odds and has done more than ripple the fabric of our lives more than once. As I've said here, in numerous previous posts I believe that the first and most important steps to becoming good stewards of the environment begin in our own homes, backyards and, in this case driveways. Unfortunately, the whole time that I have been writing here I have been one of those dreaded, evil SUV drivers.



GASP!


We used to be a two car family but two summers ago, when insurance on one car expired we decided to make a go without it and see how we fared. There were some minor adjustments that had to be made but mostly the experiment went fine and so we never did go back to driving two cars. We adjusted our schedules a bit, took alternate transportation when we could and we managed to save a bit of money along the way. We felt good about what we had accomplished and all went well...that is until "going green" became a buzz phrase and the bandwagon threatened to collapse under the weight of all who had jumped on. I was beside myself.


Suddenly I found myself at odds faced with what I felt were my responsibilities toward the environment on one hand and the fact that I own this truck that I really, really love on the other. The truck has been really good for my family. It has taken us to a lot of places, it carries our bikes, camping gear and other "stuff" really well. It really sucks at the gas pump for sure, but haven't we already done our part? After all, we've given up one car, small steps right? My wife and kids love the truck too. It fits us and our lifestyle but, on the other hand at almost $80 per week in fuel alone it is getting kind of expensive.

About two weeks ago the important discussions began between my wife and I.

There is more to the dilemma. Whether I like to admit it or not the truck has become a symbol of my success. I have been using all of the excuses in the book to justify owning it without admitting that I have been using this truck partly as the yard stick to measure myself with. I have allowed myself to be somewhat defined by the car that I drive and it took my realizing this to allow myself to finally consider letting go. Once this happened, Liz and I learned that there are in fact plenty of options (for us) out there that will allow us to continue doing all of the things we like to do and did before. All while reducing the footprint that we leave behind and keeping a bit more cash in our pockets. After all, if Premier Campbell can do it, why can't I?

Yesterday we traded the truck in for a much smaller, more economical Ford Focus wagon. Its fantastic and we couldn't be happier with our decision. Of course we got the sportiest one that we could find. We had to, after all... the car will have a small part in defining who we are.


7 comments:

Ian Gregson said...

Why not go the whole hog and get rid of your automobile altogether ?

I did and I have more kids than you.

Try the Vancouver Auto Co-Op, Taxi's, Bus and pedal power.

Ray Henderson said...

While I commend you for being able to go completely car-free, we are not there yet. Because of where we work, the other activities that we do and the poor state of our transit system we need a car. An hour and a half each way on the bus (when it takes 15 minutes to drive) just doesn't work at this time. My wife and I car pool and often she will drop me and my bike off in the morning and I'll ride home but I'm afraid that is the best I can do at this time. Small steps.

Walter Schultz said...

Great insight into the automobile problem. Cars represent many things to us and going completely car free isn't very realistic.

Making the choice to downsize is good for your family and the environment.

Ian Gregson said...

Reality is Walter and Ray is that the cost of running a vehicle is taking more and more out of your family budget.

You can hardly advocate for a better public transit system from the front seat of your SUV or station wagon.

Do you really need to drive your kids across town to a soccer game or piano lessons ? Do you really need to shop at Superstore whilst you could walk to Donalds market ?

Going Green and I mean really Green, not pseudo Green is going to be part of urban life, especially for us on the east side.

Do you guys take the bus - ever ?

Ray Henderson said...

Actually Ian, I took the bus home last night. The trip from North Vancouver where I work took an hour an a half. I do this quite often, especially when my wife works the night shift I dropped the car off for her because you see, she doesn't feel safe taking the bus home late at night (she took the bus to work yesterday). There are some interesting people on the bus in East Vancouver at night.

We often walk up to Hastings or down to 1st or over to Commercial. In fact we use the car as little as possible but still, our lives require that we have it. Our story is obviously different from yours and everyone elses but still we do our part and feel good that we are doing it.

Maybe I am only pseudo green, I don't know. I do know that there are other factors as important as being "really green", the least of which not being my wifes safety or the 3 hours per day I'd be away from my young kids if I took the bus everyday.

Ian Gregson said...

Ray, you have made a step in the right direction, however unlike what Walter says, going car free is realistic and is the reality for those of us who are green.

I know lots of families on our side of town with out a car and they manage just fine. Our bus service whilst poor in respect to many other cities in Europe is about as good as it gets in BC.

Had you been living in Langley or Surrey I'd say going without the car is unrealistic, but in East Van, you are in a perfect position to do it. All it takes is some reorientation and rescheduling of your life - you sound like you are on your way.

I reckon if it was not for your job you could easily do it tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

There is a disturbing trend that has surfaced in our city. I fear that without the swift and exhaustive input of our diligent environmental advocates we may fall victim to a new form of vice. Like the expanding ripples of a battery cast into a pool of raw sewage, the effects of grassroots "greenies" are beginning to infiltrate every aspect of Vancouver life. Just the other day an individual I once held in high regard confessed that he had converted his ambient indoor lighting from incandescent bulbs to CFLs. Aghast, I pursued a thorough investigation of his intentions. What next? Would this Philistine presume to append various other minor energy-saving "solutions" to his repertoire of pedestrian sustainable practices? It is my sincere hope that my vehement admonitions were not in vain. These seemingly innocuous dabblings in improved efficiency are hazardous to all but the learned and dedicated purveyors of sustainable solutions. Car pooling, bamboo flooring, low flush toilets and refillable hand soap containers are "gateway" practices that often lead to much broader environmental habits. Before you know it, the weekend warriors of social conscience will be advocating the greening of urban habitats, the use of wind turbines for residential energy purposes, or even the introduction of emissions reduction mandates for major automobile manufacturers in the domestic market. Please do not turn a blind eye to this imminent crisis. We must ensure that the responsible use of our natural resources is left to those in the know, to those with the economic autonomy to pursue every avenue simultaneously, to its fullest real and perceived PR potential. Only then will we ensure that the fate of the world remains in the hands of those who truly know what to do with it. Somebody, please, think of the status quo and all it has done for us.