Sunday, April 15, 2007

1 person screwing up East Vancouver

Its been a crazy couple of weeks for me. I've barely had the time to keep up with whats going on in the world, nation, province, community... so it was great to find a few minutes yesterday to scan some headlines and I wasn't disappointed. The first one that caught my eye (and apparently a lot of other peoples) read "Pro 9/11 column may oust Green candidate."

I immediately thought of East Vancouver's own Kevin Potvin!

It had to be! He's written so many ridiculous things I just couldn't think of anyone else that would want to be within miles of any essay, article or thought out loud that would hint at anything but absolute remorse for some 3000 innocent lives lost in the twin towers. You may not agree with the current American administration's style of politics, capitalism, consumerism, militarism or any other ism for that matter, I don't necessarily, but most people recognize the events of 9/11 for what they truly are, a tragedy.

So I clicked on the story and sure enough... Kevin Potvin!

I wasn't surprised to see him, nor was I surprised that he would attempt to bring context to the ramblings of his "little voice". I guess he had to do something to try and fill in the hole that it has dug for him. What does surprise me is the fact that the Green Party of Canada was even willing to consider him as a viable candidate for Vancouver-Kingsway, or anywhere else for that matter. It also surprises me that party leader Elizabeth May would even consider giving Potvin the "benefit of the doubt" over his comments. While I am not a member of the party, nor do I vote green I will admit to a certain amount of respect for the party and some of the things that they stand for (more than I can often muster for the local orange party). Kevin Potvin, co-founder and regular contributor to the "Republic of East Vancouver" does nothing good for the credibility of the Green Party, just like he has done nothing good for the "Community" of East Vancouver.

Even if Potvin does manage to hold on to the Green nomination for Vancouver-Kingsway it is extremely unlikely that he would be elected. Too bad for East Vancouver and Vancouver-Hastings because that means we are likely stuck with him. The rest of this great country may never realize the star that is Kevin Potvin and so sadly, he will likely never make Spinks' list of 101 People that are Screwing up Canada. Too bad because lists like this were made for people like Potvin.


1 comment:

Walter Schultz said...

Potvin is like a suicide bomber, you never know when he is going to blow up, but he will, and at the worst possible time.

What were the Greens thinking when they nominated him as a candidate? His politics aren't even aligned with the Greens. He's extremely left wing and vocal about his nut bar views. Not exactly what you want if you are looking for credibility as a new political party.

The Greens are learning how to be a party and it's my bet they will dump Commissar Potvin.