Monday, March 19, 2007

101 people screwing up BC?

A few weeks ago I came across a very interesting site that is counting down the 101 people that are screwing up Canada. I was so impressed by what I was reading that I had to add it to my links and this list is part of the reason for this particular post.

I've been very interested in provincial level politics for some time and I have spent an almost ridiculous amount of time following it over the past few years. My family and I moved to East Vancouver two years ago and since that time I have been especially interested in the interaction between this new community of mine and its politicians but, to my detriment I have largely ignored the going's on at City Hall and the doings (or lack of) of our Federal MP Libby Davies.

I've been so focused on the lousy job being done by our provincial MLA that I haven't realized the impact that Libby may be having across the country. But thanks to Ms. Davies and google alerts I discovered the 101 people list.

Libby makes the list at number 55 and reading her contributions to the demise of our country it became clear to me Why I've ignored her up until now. Libby Davies is not on my radar largely because I'm not on hers. Like the vast majority of the population of Vancouver-East I am not a resident of the Downtown Eastside, I'm not addicted to drugs, not a prostitute and when it comes to child care I happen to prefer methods that encourage and allow my wife and I to do the majority of it ourselves.

Outside of these issues (all important and deserving of attention) it is very difficult to determine what, if anything Libby has done for East Vancouver and for this reason, while deserving of number 55 on the national list, I'm not sure that she would even register if a similar list were created identifying 101 of the people screwing up BC. After all, you have to do something in order to screw it up. But don't take my word for it. Sign up for google alerts and see what comes up for Libby Davies, I guarantee that it will be one of the same 3 issues over and over again.

As to a list for BC, Libby may not make it but BC NDP MLA Shane Simpson... that's another story entirely.

1 comment:

opinionator777 said...

Do you want to know something hilarious? I live in the Burnaby-Douglas riding federally and we receive flyers from Libby Davies, your MP, quite frequently. She must be forgetting what riding she's supposed to be representing :)