Monday, September 11, 2006

I don't know how many times I've heard critics of our government accuse the BC Liberals of lacking in imagination? I for one have been impressed, on more than one occasion, by the unusual yet progressive ideas that I've seen coming from Victoria.

Last week Premier Campbell announced a plan to cancel the fall session of the Legislature in favour of a road trip that will bring public meetings to communities through-out the province. As the Premier explained it, "This is a thoughtful way of proceeding with the public's business.", and I couldn't agree more. I for one welcome the notion of public processes taking place in the presence of the public.

Of course the NDP is aghast at the idea claiming that the move is simply a tactic designed to avoid accountability. (Forgetting of course that during their decade at the helm they only held two fall sessions) But who is the government expected to be most accountable to? This is an excellent example of leadership from the front and I suspect that the truth of the matter is simply that the opposition has finally accepted what polls have been saying for a while and that is that the NDP is no longer as welcome in the trenches as it once was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.